Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Tribute to My Mom




As many of you know, my mom passed away on January 10th. It has affected me more deeply and profoundly than I could ever have imagined. I think of her every day, all day, and how I long to just talk to her or touch her one more time. However, I am blessed to have been able to spend the last 3 weeks of her life with her. She became ill in November and after several weeks of treating her for back pain (due to a fall she had here at our house), the doctors discovered it was something more serious. We got the final diagnosis of pancreatic cancer on December 24th and I flew out to be with my parents on Christmas Day. While there were many ups and downs while I was there, we did have many good moments together...some laughs, some tears. I will treasure my time with her forever. And, I am so thankful that she was able to spend 2 weeks here at the end of October...it was before her illness set in and she spent many fun days with her 4 grandkids! She was able to meet Charlie for the first time and absolutely loved him (how couldn't you...he's such a sweetie).
Actually, I am so thankful that she was such a big part of our lives...always! Even though we lived an airplane ride apart, she always made the effort to be here for the kids special events (bdays, halloween, etc). My parents usually came to visit us every 3 months for 2 weeks each time. And, we visited them about once a year. So, while we didn't see each other every day, they made sure they were a part of our lives. I am forever thankful for all the wonderful memories that we made.
Here is a poem I read at her Memorial Service on January 17th and a picture of her, my dad, and Charlie. I love you mom and miss you mom...more than you could ever know.

A Mother's Love...by Helen Steiner Rice

A Mother's love is something
that no one can explain.
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain.
It is endless and unselfish
and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it
or take that love away...
It is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters
even though the heart is breaking...
It believes beyond believing
when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beautiy
of the rarest, brightest gems...
It is far beyond defining,
it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret
like the mysteries of creation...
A many splendoured miracle
man cannot understand
And another wonderous evidence
of God's tender guiding hand.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have been so sorry to read on CHI about your mom. How wonderful that she was able to spend wonderful time with Charlie while she was healthy. She looks like she was an incredible mom and grandmother!! Many hugs and prayers!! Amy in Arizona

Jane Castner said...

What a wonderful relationship between you and your mom. I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a blessing to read about such a beautiful person and what she means to you and her family.
Jane in RI

Karen said...

I am sorry for your loss. How wonderful that she was able to meet Charlie and you have the precious photos of them together.