Saturday, September 20, 2008

9 Hours and Counting!

It's Sunday morning here (6:30 am)...I've been up since 5! I just can't sleep. I am nervous, excited, feel like laughing and crying at the same time. What a ride this has been and it really won't even start until this afternoon!


We flew in last night. I think we were the only westerners on the full plane here. I kept asking the flight attendants if anyone spoke English. They just smiled. They did repeat all the announcements in English though. I wish it would have been lighter out because from what I could see from the plane, this is a beautiful area! It is very mountainous and full of lakes and rivers.


We checked into our hotel last night and boy were we pleasantly surprised! It's a lovely hotel that sits right on a lake. There is a park around the lake and it was just packed with people. The main street is lined with lit-up Banyan trees and the lake has a musical lit-up fountain in it. It's really nice!


Our guide took us to the local grocery store to stock up on water and snacks. Her name is Katherine and she is so sweet. You can tell she absolutely loves her job...helping adoptive families. Her hometown is the town where our little boy lives so she said she loves helping families adopting from orphanages there (it's about 2 1/2 hours drive south). I even love going to the grocery store...just to see all the people out and about doing what they normally do. It's just so eye-opening. We get so used to our way of life, but there literally is a whole world out here. I am thankful for this experience.


Katherine gave us the schedule for the week. We meet our boy at 3:30 pm today (in 9 hours). That is 3:30 am east coast time (sat night). I am an absolute jumble of emotions. Happy, sad (I really, really miss my kids...even all their bickering), excited, nervous. I've lost 3 pounds since we got to China.


We will try to post pictures of "our little guy" tonite. Here are a few pictures of the hotel and view. You can't really see the mountains in the background because it's foggy. It's very, very humid here!

2 comments:

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

Congrats!! We were at the Lakeside in July 2007. Katherine is GREAT! and very "speedy". Have great time!!
Kathy T
Anchorage, Ak
lindseyli.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Glad you guys made it to Fuzhou! Wow, you are so close!!!!! Which hotel are you guys staying in? Is it a suite? The room looks huge. I can't wait to see pictures of your new little one (and find out his name:-)