Friday, September 19, 2008

A Very Full Day of Touring




Friday, 9/19: We just spent 12 hours non-stop touring. We first went to Tiananmen Square. While it's interesting, it is basically just a huge, giant square with not much on it. However, Angela was telling us how Chinese people line up to go in the National Memorial Hall (which is at the square ) and see Mao's body...well, we asked if we could go! She hesitated and said "sure, but you are my first family to want to see Mao's body!" It was really interesting. We were the only westerners in there. Many, many people bought flowers and laid them at a marble statue of Mao. They were bowing and kneeling in front of him. It was so interesting to watch. Then, you walk into the room where his body is...very eery. He looked quite well for having been dead for so many years. This is another first for Angela...first going up the steep way to the top of the Great Wall yesterday and then us viewing Mao's body.


Next, we walked through the Forbidden City. It's quite incredible and HUGE! People just push you around here to see what they want so I've learned to fight back...just elbow them! They don't seem to notice. Otherwise, you'd never be able to see inside the different buildings. One thing I did notice was that these historical artifacts are open to view, it's so dark inside the buildings (you only look from the outside) you can't see them well. And, they are open to the air...600 year old items collecting dust, dirt from the air and exposed to humidity, etc. I didn't quite get that.

Then, we had lunch at an out of the way duck place. Again, so delicious. Angela knows just what to order. We got to see them roasting the ducks in a giant brick oven. I'm glad I saw that "after" I finished lunch.



Next, we did a little shopping. We had Angela take us to this neat shard shop where they make boxes and jewelry out of broken porcelain (Pete has shopped there before). Then, off to the Temple of Heaven. It's an amazing sight as well. The emperors worshipped there...beautiful buildings and parkland. All about 600 years old.



Next, more shopping, this time at the pearl market. All I heard was "hey lady, wanna buy?" about a thousand times. Then we drove to see the Bird's Nest. The pictures on TV don't do it justice. It is a massive building. Then finally, dinner at a place on a little lake. More yummy food.
I always heard the bathrooms weren't nice in China, but tonight was the worst. I went to a public toilet armed with my wipes, toilet paper, sanitizer, etc. (You know they are squatty potties)...so right after I get and get in the squatty position in I hear this large woosh sound. Water starts pouring in under the stall at my feet (I have sandals on)...I run out because some plumbing broke. Yucky water on my feet. So, I decided to try the handicap stall outside the ladies room (which has a toilet). Well, after setting up my toilet seat (aka, sanitizing, carefully placing paper down, etc), and, um, getting ready to go, I hear a man outside yelling and pulling on the door. What do ya know? It pops open! I scream "NO" (too late, I was exposed). I think he was trying to get me out because they were closing the toilets because of the plumbing problem. Well, I quickly got dressed and ran out. No fun, no fun! Luckily Angela has a very nice modern toilet!

I know you didn't need to know those details, but toilets are quite an issue here so I wanted to share. Pete was supposed to write this post, but again, he is snoring soundly next to me while I am wide awake (when will my body realize it's night time??) After he reads this, he'll regret he didn't stay awake to write it! I'm just giving him a hard time...he just seems to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime. No wonder he never has jet lag when he travels.

CLARA: look Chinese Subway! We had to take this picture just for you! Sorry, we didn't eat there.

OK, it's 11:30 pm and I need to go to sleep!Tomorrow we leave for Fuzhou...the capital of the province of Fujian...we'll have an evening there to get ready to meet our boy!!

3 comments:

regina eric said...

Pete and Lisa
It looks like you guys are on your honeymoon again. So Fun!!!! Sorry about the bathrooms Lisa! Have fun and take care.
love ya Regina and Eric

Holly said...

Lisa,

You're getting so close to your little guy! When will the big name unveiling occur? It looks like you are enjoying yourselves there. I hope you get some sleep and get ready for that two-year old of yours!

Holly

Mom 2 six said...

Great pitures !