Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Great Wall!






It is Thursday at about 5 pm here. We made it to the top! Our guide, Angela, took us to a different part of the Great Wall than most tourists go to. It was a 2 hour ride, but it was soooo worth it. First, we got to drive all the way through Beijing. It really is so fun to people watch and see people going about their day. Angela told us this part of the Great Wall was built on the mountain peaks so it is more beautiful...I haven't seen any other part, but I must say this was an incredible sight! Beijing is so flat and then all of a sudden the mountains are in front of you. The best part of this part of the Great Wall is that you take a ski lift up to the wall...how safe is a Chinese ski lift? Well, I don't know, but I was happy when we got off. The next best part was choosing which way to walk...Angela said there was a flatter, easier way off to the left and a harder, very steep walk to the right. Well, once she told us she'd never been all the way to the top going the steep way, we told her today she would! It was an incredibly beautiful walk and we just stopped along the way to catch our breath. We even ran into a couple people from Chicago! There was a Chinese woman selling drinks on the way up who was very proud to have an Obama 2008 pin...too funny! The third best part of this part of the Great Wall was the toboggan ride down (like an alpine slide)...what a blast! Here's some pictures of our trip today and a picture in front of the restaurant we ate at for lunch.

Lunch was delicious, except I'm not liking eating the pork (it's really just pork fat) and the chicken with bones....little bones you have to pick out. I don't know what part of the chicken I'm eating so I don't like that. But, the flavors are wonderful!

Angela said that usually on this night people come home and rest. Well, guess what? We aren't up for resting. In fact, I think if we did, I'd fall asleep by 8 pm again and then wake up at 2 like I did last night. I think if I stay awake longer, I'll sleep later...Pete doesn't seem to have that problem. He's snoring away right next to me now and he could sleep all night! So, tonite we are going to Snack Street (or something like that) where we get to see all those gross things people buy off the street to eat. I dared Pete to eat a scorpion. This morning Angela served us little tiny spicy fish...I didn't know what they were until I saw their eyes. Yuck, luckily I didn't try them (Pete ate them though...he's much more daring).
This whole trip seems very surreal to me. I know I'm really here, but can't believe it. And, I just keep thinking ahead to Sunday when we meet our little guy! I know that won't seem like it's really happening either. I am just so excited!

1 comment:

The Oberloh 5 said...

Thanks so much for the pix, post, AND the Video! Video is GREAT! I called mom and the kids were visiting and SEEING you at the time. How cool. I am living each moment through your posts! I am soooo excited for you and just don't know if I can wait til Sunday. Just have your guide keep you busy so you can't think about what's to come! ( :
Amy