Monday, September 22, 2008

A Day in Fuzhou




It is now 2:15 pm on Tuesday. We just put Charlie down for a nap. This has been the hardest part for him (and us). We cannot figure out what his bed time routine has been. He gets very upset and eventually cries himself to sleep. He fights if we try to rock him so we just sit next to the crib and touch him (if he lets us) and talk to him gently. We are going to ask the nannies tomorrow when we visit the orphanage. He is so amazingly patient and calm and nearly never fusses (if he does, it's a big lower lip and a little whine). He is generally content sitting with us and walking around. He is ever so slowly warming up. It is very difficult to know if he’s happy or bored or just in his own world. He doesn’t smile often yet, but when he does it is so cute. Pete actually found a tickle spot on him. We have to be careful though because Pete was playing with him this morning and tilted him upside down and he started crying! We just have to take things slowly with him. One thing we know is that he likes things neat, tidy and orderly. He puts his things all in a row. And, he doesn't like to walk around without his shoes. Pete became the enemy last night (for about 10 minutes) because he took off Charlies' sandals! He’ll be in for a shock when he gets home to crazy, disorderly Clara, Amelia and CJ!

We had a great day touring. We went to the Panda Research Center here in Fuzhou. There were only 2 Giant Pandas…the rest were in their “summer home.” One of the pandas we saw was rescued from the Panda Preserve in the earthquake area. We were so close up to them and they were eating carrots and bamboo.









We saw a little show with Red Pandas doing tricks. We then went to a silk shop where I treated myself to a beautiful silk dress and blouse…hand made and custom fitted. Next we went to the Hero of Fuzhou’s original house…he helped fight the drug wars going on in the mid-1700’s…mostly opium. We also went through a traditional tea ceremony where we sampled 4 different teas (Oolong, Green, Black and Jasmine). The woman showed us how to make the tea, the ceremony of cleaning the cups, and then how to drink the tea. Each had it’s own special way of slurping and breathing in to get the “true flavors” of the tea. Pete got quite a bit up his nose! It sounded funny, but it really worked. We were a bit buzzed when we left there…not sure if it was the herbs or the caffeine!

Katherine, our guide, asked us where to go for lunch. I think, like we were to Angela in Beijing, we are not her typical adoptive families…we love going where the locals do. So she took us to this amazing Cantonese restaurant. (We took the driver with us, too, and she said he was very honored to be invited! I just can’t imagine not having him join us. He is a wonderful man and even helped entertain Charlie during the tea ceremony.) Katherine was a bit surprised and delighted by what we ordered…Pete actually had the BBQ chicken feet! I just couldn’t bring myself to that, but I did eat everything else. She said this restaurant is known for their chicken legs and dumplings…the dumplings were just amazing. One side of the restaurant is filled (completely filled) with tanks of sea life...crabs, eels, turtles, shrimp, stuff we didn't recognize. I'm not sure how much of that we ate today for lunch, but if I don't know what it is, I'm ok with that.

On a side note: I have been a bit nausous the last 3 days, as well as dizzy. I think I figured it out though…I think I may be anemic…I had no trouble climbing the steep stairs at the Great Wall, but I got completely winded walking up the stairs at the Panda Zoo today. I am going to take Charlie’s iron-fortified baby vitamins (I forgot mine). I did better eating today though…the problem is that I love the food here. Angela in Beijing and Katherine here keep asking if we want McDonald’s or KFC or Pizza Hut…we DON”T! We want to experience the local food and we love it!

I know many adoptive families get the “look” from locals…that glance from Chinese baby to western mommy and daddy and back to Chinese baby. We went to a park (not near our hotel) and man did we get the stares. Again, this wasn’t a touristy area, so we were quite the sight to see. Katherine says people keep asking her about us…why we were so lucky to have this beautiful, healthy-looking boy. She said people are more intrigued with us because he doesn't have an obvious physical problem. She said the people wonder why his family gave him up. They do not know his history…he was ill as a baby and had a kidney removed…so they just think we are so very lucky. And, can I tell you??? WE ARE! We found out yesterday at the Adoption Office that we were the 64th adoption in Fuzhou this year. Not very many!

OK, on to take a little rest while Charlie is napping. We are going to treat him to ice cream tonite…it’s a bit of a walk through the streets of Fuzhou.












We are half-way through our trip. I cannot wait to get home! I miss my family so much it hurts!

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a sweet little boy! He is adorable!! I can't wait to meet him.

You are definitely braver that I am. I need to know what I am eating:-) Hopefully we'll get your guide and we can tell her to take us to eat where she took you:-) Chad is much more adventurous as are our boys.

as written by Barbara said...

Lisa, Pete, and family:
Congratulations on your newest member! I have been following your blog. I'm not sure if you're members of Fujian Families or LCC groups.
We adopted our son from Fujian Province 1/28/07 so it is with special memories I read of your experiences. Our son loves looking at all your pictures seeing the familiar places he got to go.
Charles XieFeng is a gorgeous child. Enjoy every minute of China.
Give Katherine "ni hao" from the Lymans & a hug from Guo.
Sincerely,
Barbara, David, & Guo (age 12) Lyman
Marysville, WA